Wednesday, September 17, 2008

An Unexpected Visitor

We (and by we I mean much of southeast Ohio & parts of Indian & Illinois) had an unexpected visitor Sunday by the name of Ike. Hurricane Ike to be precise. He swept through Dayton with winds that categorized the storm as a category 1 hurricane. That's right folks a hurricane, in OHIO. Thankfully there was little to no rain but there was plenty of wind. After a good five hours of 60-80mph wind our neighborhood was left with no power and the ground looked like the trees had thrown up. Lots of debris everywhere and numerous LARGE trees blocking several roads, 3 of which were within 1/2 a block from my house.

I got to watch this tree as it fell. It was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen. I keep replaying it in slow motion in my head. We were standing about 4 houses away from it waiting for it to fall. Kate was very freaked out & spent the next hour with her hands covering her ears. When the tree fell it wasn't loud though so I am not sure why she felt the need to cover her ears. The amazing thing about all the trees falling around here, was not one tree fell on a person, house or car. You can't tell me God did not have a hand in that!

We were left without power for a mere 30 hours. My Grandparents still don't have power, 3 days later. The boys didn't have school Monday, Tuesday or today. It is only September and they have already used up 3 of there snow days! They have thoroughly enjoyed it though.

We spent the night at my parents Sunday night because they had power. By Monday evening I had decided I could not live without my bed and would sleep at my house even if we didn't have any power. The lights came back on shortly after I had made the decision to go home. It made me think though. About those who have to go days, weeks, months without power or their own bed, because of the true devastation a hurricane can leave behind. I feel blessed that things were not worse & am left praying for those who are still rebuilding after a hurricane no matter how long ago it was.

No comments: