Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Day Shopping & Eating


Well, actually mostly thrifting but I'll get to that in a minute. On Sunday we went to my grandma's house a couple of hours away. (Can you tell my kids love to travel!) She lives near an antique "mall"/flea market that I rarely get a chance to go to. So this time my sister & I quickly snatched the opportunity to go. There are lots of booth on the front porch of the main antique store. I quickly realized how much less expensive things were on the outside than the inside. I spotted this container of vintage Christmas ornaments for $5.00!

No need to think about it they were mine! I still am not sure how many are in there but they are worth WAY more than $5.00! Inside I picked up an orange plate for $1.75! And a couple of pieces of jewelry for a project I am working on. You'll see those later.

On Monday my favorite thrift store was having a 50% off sale. Every major holiday they do this & it is a BIG deal! They opened at 8:00 & I got there 15 minutes early & the line was already to the back of the building on both sides (they have an entrance on each side of the store). I had been there on Thursday & hidden somethings that I wanted! I found everything except for one thing so I thought I did pretty good! I found an vintage curtain, silver canister, green glass plate, framed embroidered mushroom picture, jewelry box for Kate (.24 cents!) three more pieces of jewelry, purse & a set of 4 federal glass vases (all vintage!) as well as two mens shirts to make dresses for Kate & a bright green J crew wool sweater for felting! And some extra Christmas tree tinsel cause you can never have enough of that for crafting & decorating purposes! All for about $20.00! Aah. The highlight of my month I think!

Now on to the eating part.

My grandma that we went to visit is actually in the hospital because she fell & broke her hip last week. We went to visit her in the hospital on our way into town & passed this.
For those of you who don't know what Rax is I strongly encourage you to drive to Lancaster, Oh & try out the beef & cheese along with a chocolate chip milkshake. Rax used to be everywhere here in Ohio. And up until they closed ALL the local restaurants they were Duane's favorite place to eat fast food. He about flipped when he saw this one on the way to the hospital & without hesitation said "I'm eating dinner there!" So after we ate lunch at my grandma's house, spent some time at the local lake & antique store we drove back to Lancaster for the sole purpose of getting Duane a Rax fix! I'll admit. I had one too & it was totally worth it!

Monday I made the Winning Hearts & Mind Chocolate Cake recipe from Molly Wizenberg's book A Homemade Life. It was AWESOME! I made homemade whipped cream to serve with it! If you haven't seen this book check it out. It is filled with yummy & unusual recipies. I have tried the french toast & custard cornbread recipes as well & they too are awesome! I checked it out from the local library but I think I am going to have to buy it. It's worth it!

1 comment:

amy said...

when i was a kid, i'd go fishing with my dad on lake erie, and we'd almost always swing by the rax on our way home for a chocolate shake - brings back memories!