Saturday, June 20, 2009

Birthday Party!

Last weekend was Elijah's 9th birthday party. He was so excited he could hardly wait. Especially since his birthday was like two weeks before the party. Poor kid!
He had decided back in January that he wanted to have a football party at Great Grandma & Grandpa's (cause they have a HUGE backyard perfect for a fun game of football). The cake this year was a football field, of course it was a BROWNS football field. Cake baking this year went MUCH better than last year. Although, I did have to bake two cakes cause the first one broke into three pieces after I took it out of the pan. And the very old cake decorator that I was borrowing from my mom broke on the first inch or so of the first yard line, so I had to make a makeshift one from a ziplock baggie & some old tips I found in a drawer. But then the baggie busted so I had to double bag it. This happened for both the white icing & the chocolate. Oh, and I went through 2 tubs of icing before I had the perfect orange. But other than that it went quite well! The little football is made from a small tootsie roll I softened, rolled into a football shape & then iced laces on. Turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself. At least Elijah was happy with it!
The boys plated football while some of the girls & the younger kids did crafts & cheered from the side. Duane & Nate, our good friend & pastor, were the team captains & took their roles very seriously! At halftime we enjoyed cake, ice cream & our traditional birthday treat of lemonade & Mikesell's Puffcorn. The game continued until I broke out the water balloon launcher!(I highly suggest that you get one of these if you don't already have one. They are an instant crowd pleaser & guaranteed to bring hours of fun. Plus you can buy biodegradable water balloons so you aren't hurting the environment :) ) Withing minutes the boys were lined up waiting to launch a balloon at the kids standing at the other end of the yard. I think that was their favorite part!

No comments: