Monday, November 10, 2008

Four Letters, One Important Word

I have been having a really hard time this semester. Trying to balance 3 classes, subbing, family and home is proving to be difficult. Lately as the semester has been winding down and papers are due it has gotten increasingly worse. Not to mention I have been sick for the last two weeks and have not been able to get much done. But last night was bad. Duane was at practice so it was just me and the kids. I had had a sinus headache all day that I was unable to get rid of and it was getting worse by the second. It was bed time and there were toys and games to be picked up, school clothes to get ready and books to read. As I discovered that Seth didn't have any clean uniform pants in his drawer I lost it. My head was pounding and the tears were flowing. I began thinking about the paper I needed to start that night and also everything I needed to get ready for Monday because I was supposed to sub. I called Duane, who was already on his way home, sobbing. I couldn't think, talk, or move without excruciating pain in my head. I woke up this morning feeling groggy, sick, guilty over not subbing and anxious over the paper I still have not started. When I walked into the kitchen I saw this on the fridge. Amidst a myriad of magnets, spelling tests, school projects and drawings, four letters which spelled one very important word.

I think it was there yesterday, spelled out by one of the boys, but I didn't notice it, perhaps that was part of the problem. But it dawned on me that I was forgetting to do one very important thing. Pray. I mean we pray at meals and bedtime but I am forgetting to pray regularly as part of my relationship with God. I plan to leave it up there as long as the kids will allow me. Just as a daily reminder of the wisdom of children and my need for God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm in the same place. I have been forgetting to pray and certainly haven't been praying without ceasing. Out of the mouths and hands of babes.

Happy Thanksgiving weekend.